Essential oils are where many people start their journey with holistic health and integrative medicine. They are accessible, and when diffused, usually safe.
I love essential oils because my sense of smell is almost hyperacute. Scents are memories for me and take me right to vivid images and emotions of the past. Neurology nerd fact: your olfactory bulbs project right into the regions of the brain involved with emotion and memory.
Essential oils have healing properties, and these are a few of my favorites to diffuse or apply. Side note, aromatherapy and the use of essential oils are hot topics in holistic nursing research, with proven benefits in anxiety, pain relief, and sleep in patients of all ages, and nurses!
- Lavender: helps anxiety and sleep
- Ylang Ylang: helps anxiety and it smells like a spa
- Peppermint: blocks pain signals and nerve receptor sites, also reliefs congestion
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree): anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, purifying
- Orange and Lemon: energizing oils, great to inhale upon awakening
Doterra has so many wonderful blends. My favorites are On Guard (for immunity), Whisper (for hormone balancing), Forgive (it really does help), Breathe (for congestion), Deep Blue (apply the cream to sore muscles) and Past Tense (for headaches).